Sunday Set List #69 9/5/2010

sundaysetlist

We had an excellent worship service today. The congregation was engaged as we praised the Lord together. The worship team played and sang well. Brad played bass for the first time in a long time, other than than a normal team. I Feel the Winds of God Today was a new song for the congregation. Brian and I used to play it regularly years ago when we first started playing together. A Streams in the Desert devotional brought the song to mind and after reviewing it, I decided it would be a good new song for us.It is in the Closer-Serve/Obey category which is a hard category for us to find songs in. Here are the songs we did:

0 We're Here to Praise the Lord Opener-Come to Worship
Doug Thorsvik ©2000
1 You Are God Alone GITS-Father
4243463 Billy and Cindy Foote ©2004 Billy Foote Music/ASCAP admin by Integrity's Hosanna! Music/ASCAP
1 Who is This GITS-Jesus
5118470 ©Joel Payne/RESOUNDworship.org, Administered by The Jubilate Group, UK copyrightmanager@jubilate.co.uk

SERMON: Genesis 21:8-20 and Galatians 4:21-31 – Pastor Mark

1 Let the Weight of Your Glory Fall Prayer-Holy Spirit
2790475 Steve Merkel ©1999 Integrity's Hosanna! Music
-1 My Eyes Are Dry Communion-Repentance/Conf
10453 Keith Green ©1978 Birdwing Music, Ears to Hear Music, BMG Songs, Inc. (Mech)
-1 My Hope Is Built On Nothing Less Communion
Edward Mote, Alexander B Smith, Public Domain
-1 I Feel the Winds of God Today Closer-Serve/Obey
Jessie Adams 1907, Arrangement, updated lyric, added chorus ©1999 Doug Thorsvik

0 'We-I' Balance
0 We-I Balance

MLCC 9/5/2010 Leadsheet

Worship Team for today

Leader/Acoustic Guitar/Vocal – Doug
Bass – Brad
Drums - Brian
Vocals – Teresa & Derek
Sound techs – Greg & Rob

Hope you had a great Lord’s Day.

Find out what other songs churches are singing at TheWorshipCommunity.com

Technorati Tags: ,

2 comments:

doug - thank for sharing your worship experience with us. I am especially interested in the We-I Balance grid - did you develop this? how do you use it? i am glad to see you are paying attention to this as so much of our worship music in the church seems to be I-centeric. looking for songs that have a communal perspective or tweaking existing songs is something i believe worship leaders need to spend more time on.

stay connected...

Terry

Thanks for your interest in and input on the We-I Balance grid. I agree with you; this is an area where worship leaders need to spend more time. A We-I Balance analysis of their last 10 worship sets would be an eye opening experience for most worship leaders. Although a quick review of some of the setlists you posted indicates you are using “We” songs though I’m not familiar with all the songs listed.

Others have clearly and convictingly communicated the I-centric song problem in corporate worship today, so I developed the grid as a practical way to deal with it. I understand and agree with the problem; it requires more work to figure out specifically what to do about it. My blog articles (under Thinking Strategically on this page) "I" Trouble: The "We-I" Balance in Corporate Song (Part 1, 2, 3, 4) detail the process I followed to actively manage the issue.

We have been working at trying to keep our We-I Balance for a 6 to 7 song set to 1, 0, or -1. Planning songs this way is challenging because we also pick songs to cover certain categories each week. I won’t claim that balancing We and I songs has revolutionized our worship, but I know that our songs reflect a consistent corporate emphasis while at the same time maintaining the personal aspect of worship too. I can no longer in good faith promote I-centric worship that I believe has a detrimental effect on the spiritual maturity of those who regularly participate in it.

I have not made any lyric changes to songs we are currently singing; change takes place as we introduce new songs. I have made lyric changes to songs before introducing them to the congregation when appropriate; “Revelation Song” is an example of this. I would prefer not to change song lyrics and find ones where the corporate emphasis is already there. I think the nature of recording solo voices on many songs makes “I” feel more appropriate for the vocalist. Some of those songs should stay “I”, but others could and should really be “we” for congregational worship.

Singing His praises

Doug

Post a Comment